Saturday, May 2, 2015

Let Us not Be Weary In Well Doing...Weight Loss - From My Perspective

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. 
Galatians 6:9 (KJV)

Hopefully I am not too guilty of taking this scripture out of context, but I sometimes use this scripture to encourage myself with my weight loss.  Funnily enough, I have also used this scripture when talking to some of my former junior high and high school students who were not working up to their potential.  I realize this scripture is referring to our spiritual walk with Christ, so again I hope I am not guilty of adding to the Word of God, but I find it helpful in every aspect of my life.

One of the questions that I always had is whether we should pray about losing weight.  When I was a teenager, and first started trying to lose weight, I was always of the opinion that I got myself into this mess, and that it was up to me to get myself back where I needed to be.  The thought of praying and asking God for help was not an option.  I am not sure where I got this idea from, but at the time I would have never dreamed of asking God to help me with my weight problem.  Maybe I felt too ashamed about it, or maybe I thought God had better things to take care of than my weight issues.  Whatever the reason, I have changed my opinion over the years.  I still believe that we should take responsibility for our eating habits, and that God is not going to do it for us, but I also believe that God wants to help us in whatever area we have a struggle.  I would encourage anybody who is trying to lose weight to allow God to be a part of the journey.  

I read an article a few months back saying that obesity is a sin.  I think they got gluttony and obesity confused.  I realize that one can lead to the other, and that it might be easy to confuse them, but I have a few questions for the person who wrote that article.  When is the obese person no longer a sinner?  Is it when they reach the magic number that says that they are no longer obese?  According to the BMI scale the magic number for me is 214 lbs. Until then am I a sinner? I obviously don't believe in the authors logic, and that is why I firmly believe that we should never confuse the words gluttony and obesity.  The Bible does tell us that gluttony is a sin, and that should be the issue that we deal with, if that is the issue.  I have met some obese people who eat very little, and remain in their obese condition.  I have also met some very skinny people who eat a lot of food, but there metabolisms didn't allow it to show up on the outside.  Gluttony in my opinion is separate issue from obesity.  There are a lot of damaging thoughts out there that can be discouraging to people who have weight issues.  I admit that when I read that article I found it to be hurtful.  I would share the article so that you could have something to reference against my statements, but I am now unable to find it on the internet. I originally read it through a post that someone shared on Facebook.

I believe strongly that God wants us to take care of our bodies.  Eating healthy is one way that we can do this.  It is not always easy.  Some of the non-healthy foods taste really good, but the rewards of good eating habits far outweigh the momentary pleasure of the food that is tempting you.

I will continue to fight, I will not give up, because in due season I will reap, if I faint not.

No comments:

Post a Comment